Saturday, February 25, 2012

March Madness Is Coming!!!

If you are as much of a basketball fan as I am then you are getting excited for March Madness!! But since this is a Blog devoted to Google Docs, I guess I should connect it someway.  Bracketology anybody? I'm currently working on a Google Docs based bracket that will take advantage of the =googletournament() function.

I'm working on two versions.  One version will be set so that you and your friends can compete against each other and have multiple brackets in a pool.  The other version is a single bracket so you can keep track of your own score!

Currently, features include automatic scoring, validated team choices so you can only choose the available teams for that certain game, customizable options, a standings view and information about each team and game!

The biggest hurdle is filling out the bracket.  Due to the current limitations of forms, a form input is just not feasible.  Filling out the bracket will require each of your team members to fill out their own bracket, or you can  share only their bracket using tab level permissions in spreadsheets.

Don't worry; there will be plenty of instruction on how to use it.  But stay tuned!

If you have any recommendations for features that you would like to see on the bracket please put it in the comments!

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. any developments on this!? I cant get the 2011 google doc template to work. Looking for a good template that I can share with my office mates. THanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi _ck_,
    It should be ready to go by the end of the week. The GoogleTournament() function will not work until the teams are set on Selection Sunday and Google inputs the correct values to be pulled. I'm building the template with these assumptions so there will be no way of knowing that it will work 100% until Selection Sunday. However, I have faith that it will! I'll post on my blog once it is ready.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be awesome to have! Our nonprofit, globalrefuge.org, is planning to do a small donation bracket pool of some sort to raise funds for our Malaria Initiative in Uganda, and having a way to hot the brackets ourself will be very nice rather than making someone go get on CBS Sports, create a profile, fill out their bracket there, etc. The only feature I can think of that will be helpful, which I'm sure you will be including anyway, is a requirement for people to fill out their name and e-mail address.

    I'll keep checking back to see when this is ready to go. We'll be excited to get it integrated on our site!
    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you a googler? Can you verify that at some point the googleTournament function will work for this year's tournament?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a Googler but I can verify that they are working on it. Check out the forum for updates. Specifically, this thread:

    https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/docs/spreadsheets/aqH1388eZGU

    ReplyDelete